The UFDF says according to the Coat of Arms of Fiji (Restriction of Use) Act only the Prime Minister can authorize the use of the Fiji Coat of Arms? The use of the Coat of Arms for his proposed party is a clear abuse of authority.
In a statement issued today the UFDF said that while Australia and New Zealand eagerly remove its effective travel restrictions on the regime, they remain oblivious and detached from the realities on the ground despite the existence of clear signs of manipulation and deception. A case in point is the use by Bainimarama of the countries Coat of Arms as his proposed party’s logo. The ufdf says the law states quote:-
Prohibition of use of Coat of Arms
2.—(1) No person shall, except with the written authority of the Minister, use for any purpose whatsoever the armorial ensign and supporters granted by Royal Warrant dated 4th July, 1908 which are the Coat of Arms of Fiji and no person shall use any design which in any way resembles such Coat of Arms in a manner likely to deceive. (Amended by 14 of 1975, s. 74).
(2) This section shall not affect the existing right of the proprietor of a trade mark containing the Coat of Arms of Fiji to continue so to do.
(3) The Minister may grant authority under subsection (1) subject to such conditions as he may deem fit.
(4) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) or who is in breach of any condition referred to in subsection (3) shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars.
Restriction on proceedings
3. No proceedings for an offence under this Act shall be instituted except with the consent of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Mick Beddoes wants police to probe Bainimarama for breach of Political Parties Decree:
"Today I lodged a formal complaint against Mr Frank Bainimarama, the Fiji Sun, Dr Luveni, Razor, CJ Patel, Fiji Village and FBCL with the Sabeto Police Station at shortly after 2pm today, Sunday March 30th 2014.
The complaint is based on the above mentions individuals and organizations breaching the provisions of the Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures) Decree No 4 of 2013.
I believe the above mentioned individuals and organizations have reached Part II of the decree in particular:-
3 (1) An association of persons or an organization shall not operate, function, represent or hold itself out to be a political party unless it has been registered as a political party in accordance with the provisions of this decree.
(2) If any association of persons or an organization operate, function, represent or hold itself out to be a political party without being registered in accordance with the provisions of this decree, then any person who is a member of or holds office in any such association or organization commits an offence and shall be liable upon conviction to a fine of $50,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or both.
Sec 3 Amended
(2A) If any media organization reports, represents or holds out an association of persons or an organization as a political party when that association of persons or an organization is not registered as a political party under the Decree or when its application for registration has not been determined by the Registrar, then the directors of that media organization and the editor and publisher or the Chief Executive officer of that media organization, as the case may be, commits an offence, and shall be liable upon conviction to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or both”
The Police post has acknowledged receipt of my formal complaint and has asked that I submit a written
complaint in the prescribed statement document which I am currently doing and will submit later today.
Authorized By: Mick Beddoes."