This places him ahead of Opposition Leader Ro Teimumu Kepa, who tallied an approval rating of 51 per cent in the latest Tebbutt Times poll.
Calculated from a random national sample of 1004 adults over 18 years of age, Mr Bainimarama's ratings were generally consistent across age groupings and gender with only 5 per cent of Fijians disapproving of his performance as Prime Minister.
Poll respondents were asked to rate the performance of PM Bainimarama and Opposition Leader Ro Teimumu as either very good/good/average/not very good/poor and both leaders scored generally well across the board.
Of those who approve of Mr Bainimarama's performance as Prime Minister 51 per cent say he is doing "a very good job" and 31 per cent say he is doing "a good job", combining to give him an approval rating of 82 per cent.
For those disapproving, three per cent say he is "not doing a very good job" and two per cent say he is "doing a poor job", combining for a five percent disapproval rating.
"One per cent of people surveyed refused to answer the question and 2 per cent were unsure.
The remainder rated Mr Bainimarama's performance as "average", the survey notes.
Mr Bainimarama enjoys high support from Fijians of Indian descent, with 93 per cent approving of his Government leadership and just 1 per cent disapproving. The iTaukei also gave the PM a 74 per cent approval rating.
Ro Teimumu's support base came primarily from the iTaukei with 57 per cent approving of her Opposition leadership. Fijians of Indian descent gave Ro Teimumu a 47 per cent approval rating, with others behind on 37 per cent.
Of the 57 per cent, who approve of Ro Teimumu's Opposition leadership, 18 per cent say she is doing "a very good job" and 34 per cent say she is doing "a good job".
Nine per cent of people who disapprove of her leadership say Ro Teimumu is "not doing a very good job" while a further six per cent say she is "doing a poor job", making the total disapproval rating 15 per cent.
The poll was conducted from July 6 to July 12. Source: Fiji Times, 16 July 2016