'The Immigration Department was informed that Consultant Director HR was hired just to train Manager HR and all section Managers and then after 1 year, new local Director HR will be hired. VC and DHR are very close friends and it seems like Director HR position will be given to Mr Cartmell without giving opportunity to the local staff.'
FNU Whistleblower to Director of Immigration, 1 August 2017
Fijileaks: VC Healey, as we pointed yesterday, has appointed Cartmell as Director, Human Resources. He had DECEIVED the Immigration Department to get WORK PERMIT for Jonathan Cartmell as CDHR on the pretext that Cartmell would be training a local for Director HR job.
Both seem to have links with University of Bath in the United Kingdom. VC HEALEY and CARTMELL should be reported to FICAC, and prevented from leaving Fiji until the matter is fully investigated and resolved. We are tired of seeing EXPATRIATES come into Fiji, and the first thing they do is talk about restructuring - meaning KICKING OUT LOCALS - so these bloody leeches and fat cat expatriates could rake in over $300,000 in salary and hundreds in other perks and benefits. The real culprits are the appointing locals who go along with them at the expense of other locals
Its confession time. When Dr Ganesh Chand, an old friend of mine, was toying with the idea of forming the University of Fiji, he approached me for help, to sound out Ro Kepa, then Education Minister but who was perceived to be a racist towards Indo-Fijians. I agreed to liaise with her given my personal association with her late husband Sailosi Kepa from my Ratu Kadavulevu School days. I also provided a few statues of other Universities to Chand with a view to giving university education to more students, and to break the stranglehold of USP on education. Chand, as we know, later became VC of FNU. It is also time we KICKED OUT those expatriates who fly into Fiji, take up high-powered jobs, treat our locals with contempt, bring their fellow overseas cronies on massive salaries, and behave like 'White and Brown Sahibs' - and when things go wrong, they escape back to their respective countries on the next flight out of Fiji (Robin Nair, Ewan Perrin, John Samy, Narendra Prasad, Ian Rouse etc, etc, etc). In this instance, we have evidence that VC Healey is planning to dismiss over 15 staff from Human Resources to enable him to pay Cartmell over $300,000
CRY, THE BELOVED COUNTRY!!!!!
We reproduce the following letter written by the FNU Whistleblower to the Immigration Director on 1 August 2017, containing various allegations against VC Nigel Healey and Jonathan Cartmell. Since our e-mails and website are blocked by FNU, we have not been able to obtain comments from the two. We are also holding back documents which the Whistleblower provided to back up his allegations:
Department of Immigration
This is a formal complaint against FNU Consultant Director Human Resources - Mr Jonathan Cartmell.
1. The Director Human Resources position was advertised in 2016. However without any formal interview, Consultant Director - Jonathan Cartmell - was hired by Vice Chancellor - Nigel Healey. The Immigration Department was informed that since FNU could not attract any local staff for Director HR position, FNU had to recruit an expatriate as Consultant Director HR. How can anyone decide on this when the Director position never went through the interview process. The position was advertised, file was made, however the file was put on hold and CDHR was appointed without even testing the local market.
2. The Immigration Department was informed that Consultant Director HR was hired just to train Manager HR and all section Managers and then after 1 year, new local Director HR will be hired. Mr Cartwell's contract is expiring in October 2017. The position has been advertised (June 2017) and there are locals who meet the MQR and can perform the same job at a lower salary thus saving tax payers money.
3. Mr Cartmell is being paid almost $250,000 as Consultant Director HR where else the same tasks can be managed by a local at $80,00.
4. Currently most of the time CDHR is away overseas, mostly travels overseas since his family is in Australia. He himself is very incompetent. Most of his work load is managed by Manager Human resources - Mr_______and section managers.
5. VC and DHR are very close friends and it seems like Director HR position will be given to Mr Cartmell without giving opportunity to the local staff. They are always spotted together having lunch and dinner usually in isolation. Why is there discrimination? I hope Immigration Department does a proper investigation so that justice prevails for Fiji Citizens. As soon as Mr Cartmell joined FNU, he initiated Job Evaluation Exercise which was a total failure. According to him, a person joining recently can perform much better than persons working for years. He himself is new and that is the reason he keeps saying that experienced staff are incompetent which is not correct. He wants to remove all HR staff and bring in his people to work for HR Department.
6. He has approached FNU management to restructure HR department HR Department. If Mr Cartmell wants to minimize costs and restructure FNU management, why was there a need to create Senior Manager HR position when Manager HR position exists? Manager HR, a local staff has also applied for Director HR position. Mr Cartmell quickly created Senior Manager HR position so that this position goes to Manager HR and keeps his mouth shut and gets the Director HR position. If not then he can appoint a new staff for Senior Manager HR and redundant Manager HR position.
7. I hope your team [will] please investigate and let the true picture exposed and [Fijian] taxpayers money is saved from this type of expatriate. Competent staff at FNU are being sidelined in the name of restructure and all is not well. People working in FNU are being used and graded second class employee and making room available for his own colleagues to come on board. It must be seriously noted that he already plans to stay much longer at FNU. Well, this I think was already planned before he was recruited as consultant.
8. This abuse of office and corruption should stop and FNU and I am quite confident your highest office will look at it.
Fijileaks: We will bring more later, with documents, e-mail exchanges etc on this deplorable saga at FNU