WELCOME TO FIJIFIRST PARTY GOVERNMENT: Pity the poor Indo-Fijian voters who swallowed the race-free bait of the thieves (and Fiji Sun lies and propaganda); now Indo-Fijians (Education Minister Reddy) are disgustingly persecuting fellow Indo-Fijians (PS Education Kumar)
By VICTOR LAL
Fijileaks Investigation Team
"The Minister (Mahendra Reddy) took over the case in his hands and entertained a recorded CD made on me which is baseless and contains no merit for a suspension without pay. There were obvious frustrations raised by teachers at the school about the conduct of business in the school. The Minister's wife was also teaching at the school and implicated. Those teachers who gave evidences against the wrong doings were immediately transferred out of the school upon the instructions by the Minister himself. A serious crime was committed by the Principal and evidences were clear but the Minister concealed the crime and has aided and abetted the Principal. I sent him a message through Director Secondary that the case needed to be reported to the Police but my advise was ignored." - PS Basundra Kumar in her resignation letter of 29 December 2014 to Public Service Commission
Deputy Secretary Kelera Taloga (pictured) is the new acting Permanent Secretary for Fiji's Ministry of Education. She was appointed to the position on Christmas Eve, replacing Basundra Kumar who held the role in the lead up to this year's election. When asked to elaborate on the reasons for the change, Minister for Education Dr Mahendra Reddy referred all queries to the Public Service Commission (PSC). Comments are being sought from the PSC. Kumar was appointed to the role in an acting capacity prior to the election in place of Brij Lal, now an MP, who had resigned to contest this year's election with the Fijian Government's FijiFirst Party. Source: FijiLive, 29 December 2014
When asked why Kelera Taloga replaced Basundra Kumar as acting PS Education, Reddy referred all queries to the Public Service Commission. But Fijileaks reveals what really happened as Reddy continues to hide from Fijileaks over sexual misconduct allegations, and is also lying through his teeth that Ganesh Chand's sudden departure is not linked to FICAC investigation and that he (Reddy) is not aware what FICAC is investigating against FNU. The liar knows the truth, for from phone call records from him to FICAC reveal he was constantly interfering to suppress FICAC investigations!
Basundra Kumar's resignation letter (with reasons) to PSC:
The Permanent Secretary
Public Service Commission
RE: Resignation from Service
I wish to tender in my resignation from the service with effect from 29th January 2015. I have handed over the office of the Permanent Secretary of Education today at 2pm to Mrs. Kelera Talonga the Deputy Secretary Professional as per the letter from PSC dated 23rd December 2014.
I am being compelled to resign because of the following reasons (Fijileaks in bold):
1. Immediately after my handing over, I was issued with a suspension letter without pay effective from 30th December 2014. This is a clear indication of a personal vendetta against me. The suspension is issued based on a case at Bhawani Dayal Arya College in early October 2014. At this particular school the Principal was exercising lethargy and the Mathematics department teachers were having a free ride. I merely executed my duty as the Permanent Secretary of Education.
2. The Minister took over the case in his hands and entertained a recorded CD made on me which is baseless and contains no merit for a suspension without pay. There were obvious frustrations raised by teachers at the school about the conduct of business in the school. The Ministers wife was also teaching at the school and implicated. Those teachers who gave evidences against the wrong doings were immediately transferred out of the school upon the instructions by the Minister himself. A serious crime was committed by the Principal and evidences were clear but the Minister concealed the crime and has aided and abetted the Principal. I sent him a message through Director Secondary that the case needed to be reported to the Police but my advise was ignored.
3. The Minister failed to report the case then to PSC, if he had thought I had breached the code of conduct. Instead he quietly without A/PS’S (my knowledge) directed the Director Secondary to form a task team, investigate and report to him so that he could save his wife’s and his reputation.He is a micro-manager and performs the duties of the PS interpreting the constitution to his pleasure.
4. The Minister has no respect for the staff; he is an uncouth person, breaching the Civil service procedures, practicing parochialism, cronyism and favoritism.
5. He (Minister) works against the civil service procedures and when advised correctly feels offended, shows tantrums and threatens all for suspension and termination. He has a disregard for cabinet collective decision and unilateral decision making.
6. I continued to protect my staff against his vindictive approaches and he felt I was not supporting him thus he began plotting against me so that I could be removed from the position. My staff have been looking to me for rescue but I was always helpless. I have now made up my mind that I will not be able to work with this Minister.
I am attaching a letter of complaint written earlier together with my resignation letter herein for my employer to note and understand the duress compelling me to resign from the service. I thank the Ministry of Education for recognizing my good work and the positive contributions that I have made to the education sector in this country.
Basundra Kumar (Mrs.)
FIJILEAKS TO MAHENDRA REDDY: RESIGN AND A COMMISSION OF INQUIRY MUST BE CONSTITUTED AGAINST HIM, FNU AND OTHER ALLEGATIONS BEFORE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE IS DONE TO THE EDUCATION SYSTEM; TO PYGMY PSEUDO JOURNALISTS LIKE JYOTI PRATIBHA OF FIJI SUN: READ FIJILEAKS AND LEARN
THE ART OF INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM INSTEAD OF SLEEPING ON THE JOB INSIDE FIJI
More to follow from documents re Basundra Kumar v Mahendra Reddy
1. Education Background
- Primary & Secondary Education
Korotari Arya, Labasa Arya and Labasa College
- Tertiary Education
Diploma in Business Studies from Fiji Institute of Technology
University of the South Pacific
Masters of Education, Bachelor of Arts, Post Graduate Certificate in Education
Post Graduate Diploma in Education, Professional Diploma in Business Leadership
2. Work Experience
Mrs. Kumar has climbed through various ranks to what she is today
From being a Teacher, Head of Department, Assistant Principal, Vice Principal, Principal, Senior Education Officer, Principal Education Officer, Director Secondary, Deputy Secretary Primary/Secondary/Asset Monitoring Unit/Fiji Teacher Registration Board to Permanent Secretary
3. Conference/ Workshops Attended
Mrs. Kumar has attended a number of local and international conferences and workshops in Japan, Cambodia, Bangkok, Beijing and Thailand
4. Contribution to Professional Literature
• Presented Papers in Bangkok, Thailand, Asia Pacific Regional Congress
• Journal Articles in Fiji Teachers Union Journal and Marama Magazine
• Conduct Workshops and Seminars for Fiji Teachers Union Members
• Religious Programme in Radio Fiji 2
5. Special Achievements
• Assistant General Secretary – Fiji Teachers Union from 2002 – 2010
• Appointment to the Employment Relations Advisory Board since 2009
• Member of Women’s International Networking Education and Technology (WINET)
• Certificated trainer for gender mainstreaming in Fiji
• Reading Professional Literature
• Reading researched materials in Economics
• Inspire and Empower Women through Workshops.
• Providing Social and Community Service