* A spokesman from Fiji's Immigration Department, speaking on condition of anonymity, has informed us that they have cancelled Cartmell's work permit, and that Healey has filed an appeal with the Immigration Department, peddling the same argument that there are no LOCALS available to take up the position of DIRECTOR Human Resources at the Fiji National University
* We had hinted in our previous posting that it is quite likely Healey deliberately marked down the local candidate for the job (26/17) to trigger the local's resignation, and to pave the way for Cartmell's appointment
at a salary of $300,000
* We are informed that the local's life at FNU had been calculatingly made very difficult since the interview, and he has tendered his resignation from FNU. As a result, Healey is now asking Fiji's Immigration Department to reconsider its decision over the cancellation of Cartmell's work permit as there are no locals available to take up the job
* We say: Re-Advertise the JOB. Cartmell was given a one-year work permit previously to train a local for the job. He was not expected to suddenly apply for the position: Director HR at FNU
One of the interviewing panelists has told Fijileaks that they were not informed by Healey about the request from one of the two local candidates for an independent panel. According to the panelist Healey had merely scrawled on the score sheet - withdrawn - against the name of one of the two local candidates, so they proceeded to interview the two remaining candidates, one local and another: CARTMELL
OUT OF FIJI: Our sources spotted VC Healey at the Nadi airport yesterday afternoon, heading off to New Zealand
Fijileaks: We call on FICAC to investigate Vice Chancellor Nigel Healey and former Consultant HR, Jonathan Cartmell, for alleged
ABUSE OF OFFICE
Fiji cannot bow and scrape to them just because EXPATRIATES
think they are ABOVE THE LAW
Department of Immigration
This is a formal complaint against FNU Consultant Director Human Resources - Mr Jonathan Cartmell.
1. The Director Human Resources position was advertised in 2016. However without any formal interview, Consultant Director - Jonathan Cartmell - was hired by Vice Chancellor - Nigel Healey. The Immigration Department was informed that since FNU could not attract any local staff for Director HR position, FNU had to recruit an expatriate as Consultant Director HR. How can anyone decide on this when the Director position never went through the interview process. The position was advertised, file was made, however the file was put on hold and CDHR was appointed without even testing the local market.
2. The Immigration Department was informed that Consultant Director HR was hired just to train Manager HR and all section Managers and then after 1 year, new local Director HR will be hired. Mr Cartwell's contract is expiring in October 2017. The position has been advertised (June 2017) and there are locals who meet the MQR and can perform the same job at a lower salary thus saving tax payers money.
3. Mr Cartmell is being paid almost $250,000 as Consultant Director HR where else the same tasks can be managed by a local at $80,00.
4. Currently most of the time CDHR is away overseas, mostly travels overseas since his family is in Australia. He himself is very incompetent. Most of his work load is managed by Manager Human resources - Mr_______and section managers.
5. VC and DHR are very close friends and it seems like Director HR position will be given to Mr Cartmell without giving opportunity to the local staff. They are always spotted together having lunch and dinner usually in isolation. Why is there discrimination? I hope Immigration Department does a proper investigation so that justice prevails for Fiji Citizens. As soon as Mr Cartmell joined FNU, he initiated Job Evaluation Exercise which was a total failure. According to him, a person joining recently can perform much better than persons working for years. He himself is new and that is the reason he keeps saying that experienced staff are incompetent which is not correct. He wants to remove all HR staff and bring in his people to work for HR Department.
6. He has approached FNU management to restructure HR department HR Department. If Mr Cartmell wants to minimize costs and restructure FNU management, why was there a need to create Senior Manager HR position when Manager HR position exists? Manager HR, a local staff has also applied for Director HR position. Mr Cartmell quickly created Senior Manager HR position so that this position goes to Manager HR and keeps his mouth shut and gets the Director HR position. If not then he can appoint a new staff for Senior Manager HR and redundant Manager HR position.
7. I hope your team [will] please investigate and let the true picture exposed and [Fijian] taxpayers money is saved from this type of expatriate. Competent staff at FNU are being sidelined in the name of restructure and all is not well. People working in FNU are being used and graded second class employee and making room available for his own colleagues to come on board. It must be seriously noted that he already plans to stay much longer at FNU. Well, this I think was already planned before he was recruited as consultant.
8. This abuse of office and corruption should stop at FNU and I am quite confident your highest office will look at it.
"He (a highly qualified local candidate whose name Fijileaks is withholding) even told VC [Nigel Healey] to set up an independent interview panel so that fair interview is being held. VC did not agree to _____'s suggestion of conducting a fair interview process...VC went ahead with the interview. Mr Cartmell's CV at the interview was introduced by VC..."
FNU Whistleblower to FICAC, 19 September 2017
Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC)
Re: CORRUPTION AT FNU HR DEPARTMENT
This is to formally advise on the corrupt practice at Fiji national University. This is mainly related to appointment of Director Human Resources recently. Mr Jonathan Cartmell was hired by VC [Nigel Healey] as consultant Director Human Resources October last year.
1. He was hired on the basis that he would come and train all HR staff and in that process a new full time Director would be appointed and he would be a local based staff. This has been reported to Director Immigration dated 1st August 2017. Also attaching one for your reference. The attached letter was also sent previously but no action has been taken so far. (http://www.fijileaks.com/home/fnugate-fnu-whistleblower-to-immigration-department-the-director-human-resources-position-was-advertised-in-2016-however-without-any-formal-interview-consultant-director-cartmell-was-appointed-by-the-vc)
2. From the information that we have gathered is that Mr Cartmell has been given an offer as Director Human resources with a salary package of $300,000. This has not gone through the Council and the Senior Management Group of FNU. With this amount of salary, three Directors can be hired - local based. It seems like that the interview panel have been forced by Vice Chancellor to conduct interview of Director Human resources position.
3. The two panel members initially had declined to proceed with the interview since there were only two applicants and the position was not internationally advertised. There were only three applicants (the list is attached).
4. The person most capable was a local based staff (__________). who did not attend the interview since he became aware of VC's motive to hire Mr Cartmell. He even told VC to set up an independent interview panel so that fair interview is being held. He knew very well that how ever excellent he performs in the interview, Mr Cartmell will get the position.
5. _______ is the ____________of FNU and he is also ____________. VC did not agree to ________'s suggestion of FNU conducting a fair interview process. He knew very well that ________would point out the blunder that Mr Cartmell has created in the Job Evaluation Exercise. Please also contact________and he can point out what all went wrong with the Job Evaluation Exercise.
6. To avoid this being discussed in the interview, VC went ahead with the interview. VC knew very well that the other applicant ___________is not capable and the panel will obviously give less points so that he is not selected.
7._________. Please provides JUSTICE to local staff of Fiji.
Minister of Labour
Prime Minister's Office
Higher Salaries Commission
Minister for Education